csound-festival provides a simple way of generating speech using the TTS engine Festival. It runs an init time and generates a ftable containing the synthesised speech which can then be used elsewhere. Currently only pitch is a supported parameter but there is certainly scope for adding further parameters. The opcode has only been tested on Linux as of writing.
- Csound development libraries
- Festival which also depends on The Edinburgh Speech Tools Library, both probably handled by your relevant package manager.
- Cmake 2.8.12 or later
Create a build directory at the top of the source tree, execute cmake .., make and optionally make install as root. If the latter is not used/possible then the resulting module can be used with the --opcode-lib flag in Csound. eg:
cd csound-festival mkdir build && cd build cmake .. make && sudo make install
ifn ftts Stext, ipitch
- ifn : the function table number as created containing the generated speech
- Stext : the text string to synthesise
- ipitch : the fundamental frequency for synthesis in CPS.